Saturday, October 22, 2016

$125 Monthly Grocery Budget for a Family of 5...Say What!?!? ~ What the Heck Did I Buy?

Now that's I've told you what all I do to prepare before I shop, I'm now going to answer the question "WHAT THE HECK DID I BUY?"  

I can answer that with one word: INGREDIENTS.  Prepackaged food costs more and you aren't quite sure what you are getting.  While I know it is more convenient, the cost savings is well worth it if you are sticking to a tight budget.  I do always buy a few prepackaged snacks as extra treats, but when they are gone, I put the ingredients to work and see what I can make.

I've found that the more ingredients I have, the more meals I'm able to throw together.  Here are some examples of INGREDIENTS commonly found in my home:

  • Baking: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, yeast, milk, butter, oil, cornstarch, etc.
  • Fruits and Veggies: fresh, frozen, and canned
  • Meat: ground turkey, ground turkey sausage, chicken, tuna, canned chicken, fish, and shrimp
  • Dairy: different cheeses, yogurt
  • Grains: crackers and tortilla shells
  • Spices: salt, pepper, garlic, cinnamon are staples and every now and then I'll add another one when the budget allows.

Here are some of the ways I make the INGREDIENTS work on a daily basis:

  • Instead of buying cookies and bread, make them.  With a bread machine, bread is super simple to make and makes your house smell so yummy!  Cookie dough can be made in bulk and frozen for future use.
  • Make a homemade pizza crust for a lot less than buying one in the store.  Add your favorite toppings and you've got a yummy dinner for your family.  
  • Keep pasta, sauce, and meat on hand and you've always got a great dinner.  We add cheese and call it a pasta bake.
  • Make refried beans in the crockpot.  Not only are they absolutely delicious, but one batch makes a large amount that you can use for months.  
  • Keep sides simple.  Put a piece of fresh fruit on the plate or heat up some frozen veggies.
  • Use up a bunch of random veggies by making veggie pot pie.  Put all veggies in the bottom of the dish and just top with one crust.  It saves money and calories.
  • Tortilla Shells are a life saver.  Make homemade burritos (which can be made in bulk and frozen) or individual pizzas in a snap.  Make wraps or cheese roll ups for an easy lunch.
Next Up...Tools of the Trade
What ingredients do you buy?

Check out the other posts in this series: Say What!?!?!Exceptions, Plan Before You GoWhere To ShopHow Often I ShopThe Two Cs, The Other C

1 comment:

custom writing service reviews said...

Its indeed a wise decision to buy ingredients rather than prepacked food. In this way,we can not only save some money but can also eat healthy as we dont know about the prepacked food ingredients and its adverse effect on our health.