Thursday, October 16, 2008

Macie is finally here!!

Sunday night, Brian and I headed to the hospital for my induction. They took us right into a room and gave me some medicine to prepare me for the induction. After three attempts to get the iv in (I have a big needle phobia by the way) and hooking me up to several monitors, we were well on our way... or so I thought! The next day, they started the pitocin and Brian and I were hopeful that things would progress. They pumped the pitocin up as high as it could go, broke my water and I was contracting every 2-3 minutes but I wasn't dialating. At 4:00pm, I was only 1 1/2 centimeters (when I came in I was 1/2) and Dr. Crutcher walked in and basically said, you can keep trying this or we can talk c-section. I originally didn't want a c-section but I knew there was no way that I could go on like that with no progress. Brian and I said a c-section would be fine and then it was crazy. They prepped me, took us into the surgery room and Macie Lu Mitchell was born at 5:43 pm. She weighed 7 pounds 10 oz and was 20 inches long. Macie got a 9 out of 10 on the Apgar test right away. Dr. Crutcher said that there would have been no way I could have had her vaginally and that we made the right choice. Macie didn't want to come out during the c-section either. They had to put a lot of extra pressure on me and widen the incision just to get her out! I guess she was cozy in there.

The rest of the week was pretty crazy...Lots of visitors and chaos. I am very sore and exhausted, but I was so happy to get to get to go home on Thursday morning around 11:00 am.

The next post has lots of pictures of our beautiful little girl!

No comments: