Sunday, September 15, 2013

ER Visit

Saturday when we picked up the kids, we noticed that Gavin was a little croupy and congested.  All of the kids had a cold and cough.  We went to my aunt and uncles and then came home and put the kids in bed.  Before he went to sleep, Gavin made a comment to me about taking him to the hospital next time.  Around 11pm or a little after, Gavin comes in our room and is wheezy and not breathing well.  It was by no means his scariest episode, but he basically asked us to take him to the hospital.  Because it wasn’t terrible, I tried a few tricks at home before deciding it was time to take him in.  Brian offered to take him, but Gavin wanted me.  I couldn’t say no.  When we got in the car, he said, “It’s a lot more fun when it’s just you and me mama”.  I seriously almost cried.  Not only does my 3 year old know when he is sick he needs to go to the hospital, but here he is happy to spend alone time with me, even if it is in these circumstances!

The whole way there, I was praying to my grandma and Jesus that the doctors would listen to me and that he wouldn’t be admitted.  I seriously didn’t know if I had the strength to do it.  Thankfully, we got back right away and the nurses and respiratory people listened.  The respiratory therapist recognized us from past visits.  The doc listened too and Gavin was ordered breathing treatments and steroids.  She said if it takes 3 or more they were going to admit him.  Gavin took the first one like a trooper and even wore the mask for the first time.  He still didn’t sound well enough so they ordered the second one.  This is when he started flipping out.  I had to hold it in front of him and he was crying, coughing like crazy, and saying it hurt.  I just started praying that it would work.  He had a calm come over him.  When the RT came back in, she said he sounded much better.  I was so relieved.  The doc released us a while later. 

Gavin still hacked all week and steroids make him crazy!!  Hopefully, it will be a while before our next visit!  By the time we got home, I was so mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausted.  In the morning my grandma was buried and that night I was in the ER with my son.  If nothing else, I learned….life goes on!

09082013420

No comments: