Sunday, October 28, 2012

Bank Field Trip

While we are far from being perfect parents, Brian and I have a lot of values and lessons we want to instill in our children.  One of them has to do with money.  We want them to manage, value, respect, and understand money.  We talk about it often and Macie even likes watching The Suze Orman show with me!  The other day, I came home from the store with some new socks for Gavin.  He asked me how much the socks cost!  Then he asked me how much the food cost.  I answered him and assured him that I stayed in my budget!  We also tell the kids that they don't have anything to worry about.  We will always provide them with food, shelter, clothing, and all of the necessities.  Sometimes we can't do all of the extras, but that's life! 
Last week, we helped the kids clean out their piggy banks.  We kept some special coins out, but we bagged everything else up to take to the bank.  Instead of us taking it without them, we took the whole family on a field trip.  Macie and Gavin were able to help me put all of the change in the counter and help Daddy give the dollars to the teller.  They even got a sucker!  I had prepared them ahead of time that we weren't taking their money away.  Instead, the bank was saving it for them and even paying them!  This is just one of many lessons I hope to teach them. 



No comments: