Friday, November 8, 2013

My First Half

We didn’t sleep very well because there was a dog in the room next to us yapping away, there was a time change, and I was freaked out about not waking up in time.  The kids were up super early.  Everyone got ready and we dropped them off in my parents’ room across the hall.  Their plan was to hang out for a while, eat breakfast at the hotel, and then meet us down at the finish line.

It was freezing that morning.  The temp was around 37.  We adjusted slowly and by the time it started, my adrenaline was pumping so much I started warming up.  I was a little emotional before it started.  Overall, the race went really well.  The first half was super hilly with the first mile being basically up hill.  I was able to get into my groove and stick with it.  I am super happy with how my race turned out.  I kept it under a 12 minute pace, ran the whole thing (no walking!), and finished!!!  My final time was 2:36:36.  Brian and I ran the whole thing together.  Before Sunday, I hadn’t run more than 1o miles.  I did great until I hit mile 11 and hit a wall.  My time didn’t show it, but I felt it big time.  I didn’t get super pumped until I rounded the final corner and saw my parents and the kids.  I started getting really emotional.  I was so happy to be done!! (If you look at the pics below, you will see!)

On the way home, we stopped at Old Hickory and stuffed our faces.  It was SOOO good!  My body was super sore and stiff for a few days.  I also think I tweaked my left knee a bit.  I’m going to take a break and started Weight Watchers again on Monday.  I’ve already dropped 5 pounds!  Next up, River Run (10 miles) in May!  032

BG1BG2BG3

2 comments:

Holly said...

Abbie, that is so awesome! How do you find time to train? Running a 5k is an aspiration of mine and I just need to find a time to get running!

The Mitchell Family said...

I ran after the kids went to bed or after dinner when Brian came home. I also went in the mornings on the weekend. Brian was awesome and worked with me to help me train. According to my plan, you only have to run three days a week. It wasn't easy, but I was able to do it! A 5k is a good start. When I started I seriously could barely run a mile. If you want a training program, Brian is good at that.