Sunday, August 21, 2011

It's a Lilah!

Tuesday morning, I had my appointment at the Maternal Fetal Medicine and Genetic Disorder office. I was very nervous and my stomach was super tight. Brian wasn't able to go because of his new job, but my mom was able to be there with me. When I got there, I had to check in downstairs and in the actual office. I thought that it was odd that they took my picture. They later told me that it was one of the best pictures they'd ever seen because I was smiling. I said it was just a nervous smile. I was called back pretty quickly and they asked me more questions and took my weight and blood pressure. My blood pressure was surprisingly low considering how nervous I was. Next, they took me into the ultrasound room. The tech and genetic counselor came in at the same time. The genetic counselor asked me a million questions and talked the whole time. The tech barely said a word. I wish it was the other way around. Even though I've seen a million ultrasounds, it's always nice to be reminded what you are looking at. We did get some awesome pictures though and I love seeing the baby!

Before I was even pregnant, Brian and I decided that if we had another baby, we weren't going to find out the sex. I stuck to my guns and was totally cool with not finding out. Then, it just seemed like one thing after another kept happening. I've already had four ultrasounds and I could have as many as 8-12 more. How was I realistically not going to find out? Brian and I talked about it and decided to just do it. All along I thought the baby was a boy (although at the last ultrasound I thought I saw it was a girl, but I didn't tell anyone but Brian) and I was WRONG. We had a poll on the side and it was close, but they were wrong too. This baby is a GIRL! Lilah Jean Mitchell will be joining our family in a few short months. Brian was excited because he was right! Macie is beside her self and talks about "Liwah" every day!

After the ultrasound, they asked us to wait in a room for Dr. Turquest. They warned us that she'd been called for an emergency, but acted like it wouldn't be too long. We waited an hour and forty minutes. Thank God my mom was in the room with me or I would have gone crazy. When she finally came in, she went over all of the possible complications that could happen with a two vessel cord (malformations with heart, kidneys, and other organs; growth restrictions; preterm labor). She went on to say that Lilah's growth was good (she weighs 1 pound) and that no malformations were detected. The pictures of the heart were a little fuzzy, so she called for a repeat on those. I go back in 6 weeks for another ultrasound to measure growth and to get a closer look at the heart. Now, the big concern is her continued growth. Because I also have high blood pressure, I will have lots of ultrasounds for growth and close monitoring. Nothing can be guaranteed though. There are some things that can't be detected by ultrasound (like all of Gavin's issues) and they also offered me an amniocentesis. I declined because it is risky and it wouldn't change anything. I go back to see Dr. Crutcher in a few weeks, so I'm anxious to talk to her and see what she was to say.


Face: Same nose and forehead as the other two and same mouth as Gavin!
Profile: She's already talking!


Foot


Profile





It's a girl!


Arm and Finger pointing!

No comments: