Monday, July 11, 2011

Updates

Fox In Socks: Macie's new favorite book is Fox In Socks by Dr. Seuss. Has anyone every sat down and read that whole book? It is quite the tongue twister and very hard to read. I've read it to my class before, but reading it to Macie is different. She keeps jumping from page to page and asking a million questions. I love that she is so inquisitive, but it takes every bit of concentration to read the words. Answering her questions is sometimes too much. Aunt Allie, Daddy, and Mommy have all had the pleasure of reading her this book.

No More Paps!: Saturday night, we took Gavin's paps away. We put him in bed without it, he didn't ever ask for it, so we went with it. He ended up fussing/crying for half an hour before going to sleep. Not too bad for the first night! He didn't take much of a nap yesterday, but last night he went to sleep without a fuss! He also took a three hour nap today without any problems. Tonight he cried a bit, but overall things are going well and I'm thrilled to have it gone before he turns 18 months. I just wanted a big gap between taking it away and the new baby having one.

Hearing Test: This morning, Gavin had a hearing test at the rehabilitation center. Because of his hospital experience and language delay, First Steps recommended a hearing test. They did four or five different tests. She looked in his ears, put probes in his ears and hooked them up to machines, and talked to him through a speaker to see if he would respond. We were happy to find out that Gavin's actual ears appeared to be normal and he did very well when responding to her voice. He showed her body parts and responded at all levels of sound. However, he never responded to noises and tones. She was pretty sure he was just ignoring it because it wasn't interesting, but to err on the side of caution, he will have another test done between 2 1/2 and 3 years old. He will better be able to communicate with us what he his hearing. At most, he will have a mild hearing loss, but things look good now. Gavin is known for getting in his own little world, so I wasn't all that surprised!

1 comment:

The Broeker Family said...

I love reading Fox in Socks! It's always been my favorite book to read to the kids. I'd challenge myself each time I read it to see how fast I could read it without messing up:)