Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Dude and the FLU!

So, I thought Gavin had escaped the flu, but I was wrong.  Tuesday morning, he woke up with a cough and a little wheezy.  I told Brian right away that I was worried.  We went ahead and sent him to daycare.  Miss Julie said he was coughing all morning and that when he woke up his breathing was a lot worse.  I rushed out of school and by the time I got there she realized he had a temp of 104.1!  He was kind of out of it and a little wobbly.  Lilah already had an appointment to get her shots at 4:15.  I quickly called Dr. Voyles’ office to see if they could get Gavin in as well.  They said they had an appointment at 4:45 and I took it.  We dropped Macie off at my parents’ and hung out there for a bit.  Then, I headed to the doctor’s office. 

Let me just say, I set myself up for failure from the beginning.  I had a 12 month old who had to get shots and was super clingy.  I had a little boy who was really sick, wanted me to carry him, and I was worried about.  The appointment seemed to drag on forever and kids were a mess.  Dr. Voyles wanted to do a flu test which means a nose swab. I had a flash back to the rsv test nightmare.  Lilah and Gavin were both screaming and Dr. V and I were holding Gavin down to do the test.  He said it would take 10-15 minutes to get the results, but he was back in the room within 5 minutes.  He tested positive for the flu.  Dr. V prescribed steroids (to help with breathing), Tamiflu, and said to give him Tylenol/ibuprofen as needed.  We were able to start Tamiflu because we caught it in the first day or so.  The only negative thing was the Tamiflu could cause a lot of “GI” issues.  Great! We hoped/planned to keep Gavin out of the hospital, but I was a nervous wreck.

I let Gavin sleep with me that night and his fever broke around midnight.  He was a complete and total sweat ball and soaked his sheets and pillowcase.  He woke up distraught and I took him to his bed.  I kept him home the next day.  Thankfully, his fever never returned and the Tamiflu seemed to help.  He also never really had any belly issues.  I reluctantly sent him back the next day, but Brian was on call.  He has been slowly on the mend and is in full fledge roid rages! 

DSCN0758DSCN0759

No comments: