Friday, September 2, 2016

My Loved One was Diagnosed with a Disability or Illness...What do I do now? ~ Our Story

I am planning a series of posts about what to do if your loved one is diagnosed with a disability or illness.  Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience in this area.  Before I give the tips and tricks I've learned along the way, I thought I'd give a little more information about us.  I can't type the whole story because it would take years and no one would read it all.  Here is a quick overview:

Three of our family members live with a disability.  Two have Bipolar Disorder and one is diagnosed with Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome.  All of them have a form of ADHD, two have anxiety, and two have behavior disorders.  I have also suffered from situational depression and anxiety.  That leaves one family member who has yet to be diagnosed with anything.

One disability was recognized at birth (even though it took a while to get the name) and the others have taken years to diagnose and find the proper help and medications.

We have 16+ doctors and medical professionals caring for our family.  We have 15 current daily medication prescriptions.  We go to anywhere from 4-10 doctor or therapy appointments every week.  We travel to Riley often and our son's procedure count is now in the 20's (I need to make an exact list).

I have gained a lot of knowledge and want to share it with others to make their journey easier.  Next up, I will post my number one tip for when a loved one is diagnosed with a disability or illness.

No comments: