Sunday, June 27, 2010

Operation De-Clutter, De-Stress, De-Debt

One of my New Year's resolutions for 2010 was to become more financially savvy. Although Brian and I have been making little steps here and there, we have been working on our finances hardcore the last month and half. For the first time we actually looked up our exact debt total. YUCK!! I knew we had a lot of work to do so we've been busy working on creating a budget, reading books, watching finance shows (Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman, Til Debt Do Us Part), and writing out a step by step plan for us. We combined ideas from different people to make a plan that will work the best for us. Wow...what an eye opening experience. I have learned so much!! In some ways, I wonder, why haven't I done this before? On the other hand, we are still young. If we start living this way now, we (along with our children) will have a much brighter future!! Often times we are made fun of for cracking down, getting rid of stuff, not going out to eat, etc, but Brian and I have decided that a debt free future is worth a lot more than a little harassment! Dave Ramsey always says, "Live like no one else, so that some day you can live like no one else (debt free!)."

As far as clutter, I decided to have a yard sale. I wanted to be a part of Jamie's but I didn't have time to get everything together. Allie went in with me and we had it yesterday. It was an extremely HOT day, but we still had a good turnout! Brian and I made $225!! Well worth the time and effort!

I am trying to de-stress my life by focusing on the small pleasures in life. Spending time with Brian and the kids is the most important thing in life. We have been finding ways to do things as a family without spending much money. Movie nights are currently a family favorite and they cost us 25 cents (bag of popcorn)!! Overall, I feel like my life is heading down a new path and it's a path I hope to stay on for many years to come!!!

No comments: