Wednesday, June 8, 2011

First Trimester Doctor's Appointment

Yesterday I went to my 11 week or first trimester doctor's appointment with Dr. Crutcher. Even though I've been to the office three times, this was my first time actually seeing Dr. C. I was happy with my weight. I am still down 11 pounds from my Macie pre-pregnancy weight. That is a good place to start! My blood pressure was a whole different issue! I've been having a lot of headaches lately and my dad said that it probably had to do with my blood pressure. I've been worried that it might be up and boy was it! The nurse took it 5 different times on 2 machines and every time was about the same....160/90. EEK! Dr. C started me on lebetalol which is the same medicine I was on when I was pregnant with Macie. The difference is, last time it was only in the 140s so I only had to take 50mg 2x a day. I'm already starting at 100mg 2x a day. I go back next Tuesday just to get my blood pressure checked and if it isn't down, I have to up it to 200mg 2x a day. She didn't want to put me on too high of a dose right off the bat because it can make you light headed. At the end of my pregnancy with Macie, I had to have biophysical profiles every week because of the lebetalol. I didn't think about asking Dr. C about that, so I will talk to her about that next time. Dr. C also asked if I would do a 24 hour urine test. Fun Fun! Not only do I get to collect my pee for 24 hours and store it in the fridge, but I also get to have more blood work when I take it in tomorrow. This pregnancy is going to kill me!

The rest of the appointment went pretty well. I joked around with Dr. C and Nusha (her nurse) that I missed them so I had to come back. Dr. C and I both agreed that in the best interest of my health and the health of future babies, this would be my last baby. This is a hard decision to make, but at the same time I know it is for the best. Having more than 3 c-sections is extremely risky. I always joke that if God wanted me to have more kids, I wouldn't have had c-sections! I am happy to know that I will never have to worry about getting pregnant again. That also gives me more reason to sit back and enjoy this pregnancy as much as I can. I will never again get to experience this.

Dr. C also prescribed me a prenatal. I've always taken over the counter ones before, but now Schnucks offers free prenatals with a prescription, so I thought I may as well take advantage of it. I wasn't able to hear the heartbeat. Dr. C said the machines don't pick it up until 13 weeks or later. But, because I've had two ultrasounds, she said the likelihood of miscarriage was very small. I wanted to hear the heartbeat, but I was OK with that.

I was able to set up all of my appointments for the remainder of the pregnancy (unless they add the biophysical profiles). I was happy that they are all on Tuesdays and mostly in the afternoon so I will have to miss little work. Right now my school schedule has a double plan on Tuesday afternoons so I won't miss much instructional time. I left there with my prescriptions, bag of newly pregnant goodies, and my 24 hour urine materials. My hands were full! I go back to see Dr. C in four weeks and hopefully my blood pressure will be under control by then!

After the appointment, I stopped by Schnucks to pick up my prescriptions. I was there for 45 minutes! I was so glad to get home and I tried to relax the rest of the evening. Brian and I decided it would be best for me to send the kids to Miss Julie today so that I could rest and do the 24 urine thing. I miss spending time with my kids, but I know that I have to relax or it could be really bad for me and the baby. I have so many things I want to do both with the kids and around the house and I feel like I haven't done any of it. This summer isn't starting out how I wanted it to and I hope that doesn't become the trend!

No comments: