Wednesday, May 9, 2012

First Steps Re-Eval

Yesterday, Gavin had a re-evaluation through First Steps.  As I've blogged before, I had some concerns about his gross motor development.  My main concerns were with his running, climbing, jumping (or lack there of), and overall awkwardness.  Brian took the afternoon off to be with him and I was anxious all day.  The control freak mommy in me came out and I really wanted to be there.  However, I've missed entirely too much school this year and had to miss it.  Don't get me wrong, I knew Brian was capable.  I'm also familiar with the process so that helped.  The night before, Brian and I talked about everything so he knew what I wanted said.  This was more for me then for him, but anyways...
When Gavin was evaluated at 9 months old, he had deficits in five of the six areas.  The only one he was fine on was his cognitive development.  This time, he only had a deficit in one area.  You guessed it...gross motor.  It shows me how far Gavin has come in the last year and a half!
Gavin was a perfectly well behaved little boy and charmed the two ladies.  They couldn't get over how smart he was and how well he interacted with them and played with the toys they brought.  He literally scored a perfect score on the cognitive part and it covers development up to age 3!!  I am one proud Mama! Brian was really happy that they were able to see all of our concerns.  Nothing is more frustrating than when you say there is a problem and the "professional" doesn't see it because the child doesn't show it in that moment.  They weren't allowed to tell us if he qualified or not, but told us we would get the report soon.
I got the report this afternoon and turns out that he does qualify for physical therapy again.  On the one hand, I know how wonderful First Steps is and am thrilled that he will get some much needed help.  On the other hand, I feel guilty for not having him re-evaluated sooner.  I talked to lots of people and there were mixed responses.  I didn't want to waste any one's time, but finally went with my gut.  Low and behold...I was right!  Mother's intuition I guess!
I have a meeting with the intake coordinator on Monday afternoon.  We will get everything set up then.  Good news is, we get to have Miss Melissa again!  She is wonderful and we will happily welcome her back into our home.  Looks like Gavin and I will have homework this summer!  

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Abbie, you shouldn't feel guilty! You are an awesome mom! Gavin is lucky to have the support he has. We both know a lot of parents wouldn't have acted as quickly as you did to help your son!