Tuesday, December 4, 2012

AC and ER

Saturday night when we were at my parent's house, we noticed Gavin looked a little tired and wasn't feeling 100%.  He didn't have a fever, but something wasn't quite right.  That night when he was sleeping, I heard him moaning and a little wheezy.  It freaked me out and I didn't sleep much worrying about him.  Brian was bartending so that would have been my luck...rushing him to the ER and calling someone to stay with the girls.  He finally settled into a sleep and we made it through the night.
Yesterday, he was coughing and still not 100%.  Once again, when he went to sleep, his breathing didn't sound quite right.  Brian and I turned on the air conditioner (in December!) hoping to keep it a cool, even temp in here.  Because of the unusually warm day, our house had gotten up to 73 degrees.  Unfortunately, that is too warm for Gavin to sleep well.  The AC seemed to help and we made it through another restless night.
However, when he woke up this morning he sound worse.  He didn't have full blown sridor, but Brian and I weren't comfortable sending him to daycare.  He was wheezing, coughing, and looked a little pale.  He was even asking to go see the doctor to get some medicine.  We decided I would take off work and Brian would take the girls to school/daycare.  Macie was worried about her brother and worried because tomorrow night is her Christmas program.  I assured her I wouldn't miss it!  I took Gavin to the ER because I didn't want to wait until Dr. Voyles' office opened.  I wasn't even sure that they would be able to get us in. 
Once we were at the ER, we were taken back to a room pretty quickly.  He sounded much better, but I still wanted to know what was going on.  This was our worst ER visit to date:(  They didn't really listen to his history and I think the doctor had her mind made up before she even walked into the room.  She said he was going home with no breathing treatment and no meds.  I wasn't really happy about this.  Don't get me wrong...the meds make him crazy, but they also help him.  The doc left and then no one came in for a while.  I was starting to think that maybe we should leave, but I had to hunt down someone to release us.  The nurse apologized and said she was surprised that the doc didn't do anything.  She suggested I call his doctor and try to get him some treatment that way.  I also had to go to the bathroom and Gavin didn't want to leave my side.  I finally took him with me.  As we were leaving, they said that we owed them $73 for the visit.  I was so upset.  They didn't even do anything and we've NEVER paid that much for a visit, especially since he met his deductible back in March.  I just paid it and moved on.  I figure it will all get worked out somehow.
I called Dr. V's office and they couldn't get him in until 1:45.  Dr. V prescribed him 5 days of steroids (like I knew he should have) and we were on our way.  Thankfully, he didn't have any more episodes last night and he is back at daycare today.  
I made the comment that his episodes have been increasing in frequency.  He said a combination of his age and weather is causing it.  He acted like it will be a long time before we are in the clear.  Great:(  

1 comment:

CJM said...

Poor baby :(...and Mommy!