Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Christmas Shopping

This year, we decided to take each of the kids to Dollar Tree and let them pick out gifts for everyone else in the family.  On Saturday, I took each kid by themselves to the store. They picked out something for Daddy, and their two siblings.  This weekend, Brian is going to take all three of them to pick out gifts for me.  When I was younger, my parents would take us to the dollar store in Washington Square Mall (there weren't a million dollar stores back then) and we got to pick out presents.  I thought this was the coolest thing!  I'm so happy that I am able to do this with my kids and they loved it!
When I took Lilah, I picked out two things for each person and held them up.  It was so funny because she looked seriously at each one before making her decision!  She pointed to one and that is the one we got.  When Gavin went, he kept wanting to pick out things for himself.  I had to remind him he was shopping for his sisters, not him.  Once I said that (for the 10th time), he got it and did a really good job picking something they would each like.  Macie was on a mission from the start!  She found so many things Gavin would love, but ended up picking something that he wanted to buy for himself!  The funny thing is, each kid picked out something similar for Daddy.  He is going to love all of them!
The hardest part is telling them that this is a secret.  They can't tell the other people what they got until Christmas.  On Sunday, Macie and Gavin helped me wrap their gifts.  Last year, we took them to pick out gifts for Mommy and Daddy, but not each other.  I know that this is going to make Christmas morning extra special and I hope this is a tradition we continue year after year!

No comments: