Saturday, October 24, 2009

My chances for Mother of the Year just went flying out the window...

Macie locked herself in the car....yes you read that correctly, MY ONE YEAR OLD LOCKED HERSELF IN MY CAR!!! I went to pick her up from Grammie and Pops' house yesterday, like I do every Friday afternoon. When I was carrying her out, she wanted my keys and I let her hold them. I usually try to keep them away from her, because not only are the keys disgusting and I don't want her to chew on them, but she typically sets off the alarm by pushing the button. So anyway, we are loading her into the car seat and Grammie puts her bags in the car. I throw the keys in the front seat, not realizing that at some point she must have hit the lock button so all the doors are locked. Grammie and I both shut our doors at the same time and I try to open my door to get in. I very quickly realized that the door was locked and my baby was in there all by herself. Of course my cell phone was in the car too, but thankfully Grammie was able to call Brian. He is 35 minutes away, which seems like an eternity when your precious little girl is screaming because she is in a car all by herself. Granted, she never really likes the car, so she could have been screaming even if I was in there too, but that is besides the point! I had to hide so Macie couldn't see me because every time she did she would scream harder. Grammie and many neighbors tried to make Macie happier by talking to her thru the window, showing her a puppy, making silly faces...anything! The thing that really upset us was that we called the local police department for help and they said they don't unlock cars for people anymore due to some law. Now, I can see if I locked my keys in the car and just didn't want to pay for someone to come fix it, fine, but for God's sake there was a child in the car! Don't you think they should have cared a little bit more. There was company who said they would do it for free after 5 (it was 4:20 or so) or they could come and do it for a fee of $30 something dollars....but by the time they would get there, Brian would be there so it didn't make sense. By the time Brian got there, Macie was beside herself and whimpered for quite a while when I was holding her. Even though it was an awful situation, there are some things to be thankful for: 1. we were at my in-law's house so they were able to help and had a phone to call Brian 2. it was a cool day and not hot 3. Macie wasn't hurt in anyway 4. Macie will never remember this, even though I will never forget it!
By the way, Macie will no longer be carrying or holding my keys and I by no means think I will ever be "Mother of the Year"!

No comments: