Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Two Kids, Two Dogs, Too Many

Brian and I made a very difficult decision today. We are surrendering our dogs. Rusty and Max have been our babies for 3 and 4 years. Brian and I knew that this was inevitable. Even though they are great with our kids, we no longer have the money or time to properly care for them. I always said that nothing would change my mind about the dogs once we had kids. Eating my words has never tasted so badly!
Last week, we decided to pray about it and see what happened. The very next morning as Brian was driving to work, he heard Dave Ramsey talking about pets. He said if your in debt and can't afford them, get rid of them. We both took that as a sign and filled out an online application for PAAWS. It is a no kill shelter and we feel it is very important that they find good homes. That was Friday. We took the weekend to pray and think about it. Sunday night, I received an email asking for more pictures of the dogs. We sent them last night and we got a call this morning letting us know that they had a place for Rusty. My heart sank. Was this really happening...could I really do this? I spent the whole day crying and on the phone with family and friends letting them know what was going on. Every one has been very supportive. Tonight, a lady came to take Rusty. We currently still have Max, but it is only temporary. Please pray that he finds a good home. I know that we will move on, but it is very hard. Who knew our little four legged friends would take so much our hearts with them?

No comments: