Saturday, March 6, 2010

First Bottle

Because I wasn't as successful as I had hoped to be with Macie, I have been very worried and determined to breastfeed Gavin for at least 6 months. I had to pump most of the time with Macie and I stopped at 3 months due to a supply issue when I went back to work. I didn't give Gavin a pacifier for almost 4 weeks and we hadn't given him a bottle yet. So far, he has been doing extremely well and I didn't want to mess anything up. I know that he will have to have a bottle when I work and I will want a break from him from time to time, but I was trying to delay him getting a bottle for as long as possible.
Well, tomorrow is Gavin's baptism and we will be at church for a long time. Most of the time during the day, Gavin is eating every 2 hours or so. I wasn't sure how I was going to handle this at the baptism. I finally gave in and decided that we should pack a bottle so we don't have a ticked off baby. Brian has been dying to feed him, so we tried out a bottle tonight to see how he would do. He didn't have any problems at all! In fact, he sucked the thing down like he never knew any differently. I was shocked how emotional I got. I started tearing up watching Brian give him his first bottle. Even though it is nice to get a little break, I am so attached to the little guy and take great pride in providing milk for him. Yes, it was my pumped milk in the bottle, but it still didn't seem like the same. Anyway, enough about my emotional state:) Gavin reached a new milestone today! One of many to come...

No comments: