Wednesday, August 1, 2012

ENT Appointment

This afternoon, I took Gavin back to see Dr. Wahle.  I was anxious to see what he'd been able to find out since our last visit.  I also was curious to see what he would recommend.  He started out by reading me a 2 and a half page letter he'd sent to Dr. Voyles.  It basically recapped everything we'd talked about last time.  He told me that after reviewing the report from Gavin's hospital stay and MRI, he feels confident everything was done correctly.  He told me that the tube size was 4.5, which would be the correct size for most children Gavin's age and size.  I now know that if Gavin has to have another procedure done, a smaller tube will need to be used. 

Basically, after going through the letter and talking about Gavin's latest episode, we decided that Gavin needed to see an ENT more specialized than him.  He kept talking about a procedure, but he said that no doctors in Evansville do it.  He was kind of on the fence about the Riley referral, but when he realized that Gavin already sees two doctors there, he was convinced.  He didn't want to take any chances and I don't either!

For most children, we would be able to play a "wait and see" game, hoping they would out grow it.  Because of Gavin's vascular lesions, we can't.  Dr. Wahle is concerned that he has one in his throat.  If he doesn't have one, than it is probably just a narrow passageway that he was born with.  As far as the treatment options, etc., he didn't know.  I'm supposed to hear by Friday when this next appointment will be.  He gave me copies of his notes so that I can give them to the next doctor.

While I am very thankful that these doctors are trying so hard to help my son and figure out what is going on, I wish they didn't have to work so hard!  I would love to go to a doctor and get a direct answer.  Not a "go see this doctor" or "We need to wait and see" or "I've never seen that before".  Nothing is more frustrating!  Looks like we will be meeting yet another doctor soon to add to our "team".  Hopefully, they will lead us in the right direction and give us some answers!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Abby, I love Dr. Whale and would feel comfortable with whatever he recommends. I understand your frustraion, but am glad that the doctors who see Gavin and know that they aren't the best person for the job are passing you on to the RIGHT person for the job. It would be bad to see a DR. who wanted to play GOD and try something he shouldn't.
Hang in there. We will say lots of prayers to guide all of Gavin's doctors in the right decisions.

The Mitchell Family said...

Thanks for that! I know it's what's best and I'll do anything and everything to make sure he has the best life possible. Sometimes, I just need to vent!