Tuesday, January 31, 2012

When it rains...it POURS!!

Wow, has it been crazy around here! I haven't been able to blog everything in order, but here is a look into our life right now...

The toilet in our full bath hasn't worked in over a year and a half. There was a leak and we knew that we would need to replace the flooring. Because we have a half bath too, we put it off until we had the money. Then a few weeks ago, our half bath toilet started clogging up and over flowing. We found a car that Gavin put in there once so we thought he'd put something else in there too. We had carpet in the half bath (who does that...seriously??) and we were constantly cleaning it and drying it out. Our house was stinking and we couldn't figure out exactly what was going on. I'd had enough so we enlisted the help of my dad.

Last Saturday was the big day. Brian and my dad started in the bathroom while I took Macie and Lilah to gymnastics. Gavin stayed back to help the guys. What we thought would be an inconvenience turned into a NIGHTMARE!! Once they took up the toilet, tile, and sub floor, my dad was able to see into the crawlspace. What did he find? Sewage! Turns out, we had a leak that we didn't even know about. The sewage is what was causing the smell in our house. When I got home from gymnastics, I fed Lilah, loaded up the kids, and headed to Allie's. We ended up eating lunch and dinner, and doing baths there. I also started setting up for Gavin's party. Our house was a disaster and kept getting worse by the minute so I had him bring me some stuff. Thankfully, we were able to sleep at home, but we couldn't use any water in our kitchen. Brian and I could use the restroom sparingly and shower. That's it. I brought Macie and Gavin home and took Lilah to my parents house so that I could make cupcakes for Gavin's party. When I got home, I started cleaning up a bit and went to sleep. We had a long day ahead.

Sunday was a busy day! We didn't have any time to deal with the plumbing issues. First we had Lilah's baptism and lunch, then we had Gavin's birthday party, and we ended the day celebrating Aunt Dawn's 60th birthday. There will be future posts about that though. When we got home, we had to regroup and plan for the crazy week coming up.

Monday started off not so great...Brian's car wouldn't start. Are you kidding me? He was able to jump it from the van and get to work. He had someone jump him at lunch so that he could get to a place to get a new battery. Luckily, he got the girls safely to daycare. I kept Gavin for his hearing evaluation. Before we went, I loaded up the van with all of our laundry, dirty dishes, bath stuff, and lunch for me and the kids, and dropped it off at Allie's house. After the evaluation, we picked up the girls and spent the day at Allie's. I washed four loads of laundry, the dishes, and bathed the kids. Allie got off work a bit early and played with the kids. She was also kind enough to supply dinner for us. As far as the plumbing issues, Brian and I found out that it was going to be a few days before it was fixed. We also found out we couldn't use ANYTHING water related. We could run the water, but it couldn't go down the drains. The kids didn't nap at all and were starting to act pretty horribly. Macie went potty before we left Allie's, Lilah and Gavin are in diapers, and Brian could pee outside. That just left me and I had to hold it all night! Once we were home (and the kids were in bed by 6) , we unloaded everything and tried to get out house in order...ha ha!

Brian got up early Tuesday morning to head to Allie's to shower. He came back and our day didn't start out much better...we found Gavin in his bed with puke all over his pillow. Great! Brian had to wash his hair in a bowl. I obviously kept Gavin with me and Lilah. I was bummed because I wasn't able to visit my friend and her new baby. Brian took Macie to daycare and once he got there the realized he had my phone in his pocket. He came all of the way back to give it to me. I was looking everywhere for the phone and spilt sweet tea on the carpet in the process. Sweet Gavin was trying to help me. It's hard to clean up with no water! We loaded up the van with more dirty laundry and stuff that needed to be cleaned. Once again, we spent the day at Allie's. Luckily, Gavin didn't get sick again. He was a little clingy, but napped well and had a good day. Dad was kind enough to bring me some lunch and bad news. Our plumbing wouldn't be fixed for another day or so. That night, we picked up some chicken and potato salad for dinner and ate at my parent's house. Once again, we headed home to unload everything and catch up on some shows.

Wednesday was Gavin's birthday. I'll have another post for that. He still felt under the weather, but Brian was off so that helped. We spent the day at Allie's (notice a trend) so we could all bathe there. The good news house wise was that we could now use everything in our house except the kitchen sink and dishwasher. When we got home for the night, Brian finished digging a hole out back they needed and pulled up the carpet in the half bath.

Thursday, all three kids went to daycare. I took full advantage of it and cleaned our house. I got the living room, our bedroom, kitchen, and Macie's room cleaned out. Not perfect, but livable. That night I got Gavin and Lilah's room cleaned out. Feels good! The plumber came back and finished fixing everything. Now, we can use our dishwasher and kitchen sink. I had a doctor appointment in the afternoon and everything is good. I don't have to go back to see Dr. Crutcher for one whole year. I may have withdrawals:) Unfortunately, while I was at the doctor's office, I found out that Macie was puking at daycare. One more thing to add to the week. I picked them up as soon as I could. Macie has gotten sick several more times.

As of now, our plumbing issues have been fixed, but we still have a lot to do. Neither bathroom has flooring, we don't have a toilet in one bathroom, and there is still sewage that needs to be removed from under the house. Plus, I will keep Macie tomorrow and hope she feels better soon. I go back to work on Monday and have to get ready for that. Thankfully, I wasn't back at work when all of this happened.

When it rains...it pours around here! Thankfully, we've had people willing to help us out. Packing up and moving around 3 small children can be quite challenging at times!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Halfway through reading this I was thinking " when it rains it pours" and then smiled when you finished this post with the exact same comment:)) so sorry for all the craziness you have gone through this week!! :( hope everything gets fixed and taken care of soon!!