Saturday, October 23, 2010

Potty Training

Today was our first official day of potty training and Brian and I are both exhausted! We've been talking about potty training all week to get Macie pumped up. She was so excited and every time we asked her what we were doing this weekend, she would say "Potty training!" Last night, we took her to Walmart to pick out some big girl panties. She picked Minnie Mouse (I know you are shocked) and Dora. Next, we let her pick out a reward. She picked mini m&ms. Perfect!
Being the planner that I am, I'd been planning everything out. Looked for signs Macie was ready...check! Talked to Miss Julie....check! Got advice from friends...check! Husband trained and on board...check! Panties, pullups, and m&ms bought...check! Schedule cleared for entire weekend...check!
After breakfast this morning, we showed her a potty training dvd we had with some songs and cute cartoons on it. She was pumped! She was ready! Then the reality sank in....dun dun dun!!! (Yes I'm being a bit dramatic) Macie loved to wear her big girl panties and she had no problem sitting on the potty. In fact, we spent a lot of time reading books, talking, and even painting her toes!
She poops on the potty no problem and in fact went several times today. Peeing, however, is a WHOLE different story. She went 1 and 1/2 times in the potty, but peed on herself every other time. 5 pairs of panties later, we were ready to put a pullup on for bed time. We decided to put panties on her when she was awake and a pullup on her when she was sleeping. Our hope was that she would feel the pee and not like it. Well, we were right, but she just wanted to be changed right away. Two times we were so frustrated because she sat on the potty for a while, didn't go, but as soon as she got up she would pee.
Now I should note that Macie was extremely whiny and clingy from the moment she woke up this morning. I'm not quite sure what was going on. I'm by no means giving up. I still think that she is ready to potty train. I'm hoping that tomorrow will be a better day! I also think that when she goes to daycare will help because other kids use the potty there.
I'll keep you posted...pray for us!

No comments: