Saturday, September 15, 2012

ER Visit Two and Hospital Stay

Wednesday night, all of the kids were in bed by about 5:30.  Gavin and Lilah were sound asleep and Macie was "resting" in bed.  It sounds early, but we hadn't really gotten much sleep the night before.  Brian and I hoped to go to bed early.  I had an appointment at 6:30, so I left the house about 6:15.  I hadn't gotten very far and Brian called me saying that Gavin needed to go back to the emergency room.  He had woken up and was having another "attack".  I turned around to rush home.  On the way, I called my parents to see if my mom could meet us there so Brian and I could both go to the ER.  I went ahead and took Gavin while Brian waited for my mom.  On the way, I called to cancel my appointment.  When we got the ER, he had calmed down a bit, but look awful.  I jokingly called him Edward from Twilight.  His skin was so pale, his eyes sunken in, and lips bright red.  He was so tired and pretty lethargic, but was terrified to fall asleep.  Every time he did, he would wake up panicking, sweating, and having an "attack".  It was horrible.  The waiting room was full, but it wasn't too horrible of a wait.
On the way to a triage room, his nurse from the night before recognized him.  She thought he looked a lot sicker.  The doc came in and ordered a breathing treatment and an RSV test.  The doc was shocked that he'd never had a test done considering his respiratory history.  The test was pretty unpleasant because they swabbed his nose and we had to hold him down while he was freaking out.  After the breathing treatment, Gavin perked up a bit.  The doc had decided immediately (because of history, the fact we'd been there the night before, and the fact Gavin was scared to sleep), that Gavin would be admitted.  Brian and I were at peace and actually a little bit relieved. 
We hung out in the ER for a while waiting for our room upstairs.  Aunt Allie came to help us entertain Gavin and Brian ran home to get me a few supplies to stay the night.  Gavin started asking for food.  They gave him some applesauce, but promised him a better snack when we got upstairs.  The frustrating part was that once we got up there, they said he was on a liquid diet until morning.  Thankfully, they gave him apple juice and then he fell asleep in Allie's arms.  The funny thing was, we stayed in room 4510 which is the same room we were in last time.  It felt like we had just been there even though it had been a few months. 
Gavin's RSV test came back negative, but he was still restricted to the room and staff who entered had to where the gear.  That was frustrating because no one knew why it was that way.  That meant Gavin couldn't leave to walk laps or play in the toy room.  Try containing an 2 and a half year old on steroids in a hospital room.  NOT FUN!
As far as the night went, Gavin actually slept pretty well and didn't need any treatments.  He woke up four times freaking out, but I was able to get him back to sleep.  We hung out at the hospital until noon when Dr. Voyles came in.  Grandpa came in watch him while I went to grab lunch in the cafeteria.  Dr. Voyles said that Gavin looked good and sent us home with a longer dose of steroids.  FUN FUN!  This child is wild on them!
Brian and I know that this is not the end of the story.  It will take Gavin years to out grow this.  We just have to take it one day at a time! 
 Not a fan of the mask...it didn't last long!
 Such a big boy holding the tube for the breathing treatment


Gavin found ways to entertain himself and I have to say, he was pretty creative!  He started taking diapers and putting them on the spots!


No comments: