Thursday, September 13, 2012

ER - Trip One

I knew it was coming, but I was hoping it wouldn't....Gavin had to go to the ER Tuesday night.  I was so nervous about his breathing, so I brought him to bed with us.  I didn't really sleep and Gavin didn't either.  He dozed while I propped him up.  He hadn't had a full on attack, so we kept hoping, praying, and trying.  We put his head in the freezer, took him outside, and did everything we could to comfort him.  I let Brian sleep a little bit at this time.  Finally, Gavin was crying and asking to go get medicine (meaning he wanted to go to the hospital). Around 1:00am, I packed a bag and changed Gavin.  Brian got dressed and took him to the Emergency room. 
He said when they got there, Gavin was taken care of right away and in no time got a breathing treatment.  What helped was that Brian knew exactly what to say because we now have so much information and experience in this area.  They gave him props for knowing so much.  After two breathing treatments, steroids, and some bonding time with Daddy, they were able to come home around 4:30am.
Even though I was home, I didn't get much sleep at all.  The girls were up and distraught by everything that was going on.  I also felt guilty that I wasn't with Gavin.  I knew perfectly well that Brian was more than capable of being there, but as a mom, I felt like it was my job.
When Gavin and Brian got home, everyone in our family was able to sleep for about an hour.  One hour of peace.
We took Gavin to Miss Julie's in the morning and then Brian went and picked him up early.  Unfortunately, the story doesn't end here.  To be continued...

No comments: