Thursday, July 26, 2012

Guardian Angel

The craziest thing happened to me yesterday.  Gavin had therapy at the park again.  The last several weeks we've been the only people there.  Yesterday, there were several other kids there trying to beat the heat.  I sat on a bench in the shade while Miss Melissa chased Gavin around.  A couple brought their grandchildren to the park.  The lady sat down on the bench by me.  We started chatting about the heat, the kids, Gavin's therapy, and life in general.  I even found out she was a CASA volunteer like Allie.  She was very curious about Gavin and his birthmark/therapy.  She also thought Gavin was the cutest thing.  She was super nice, but a little flighty.  Gavin's time was almost over and her husband and grand kids were ready to leave.  She left for a minute and came back to tell me bye.  She shook my hand, told me it was nice to meet me, and gave me $100 bill!  I was so shocked!  I said "Thank you", at least I'd hoped I did, and she told me that it was for me and my little boy.  She told me to take care of him.  Not only was I shocked, but a little bit embarrassed because Miss Melissa was standing there.  I was hoping she realized that I wasn't trying to make this lady feel sorry for me.

As I got into the car, my head was spinning and I had a million emotions running through me.  I called Brian to tell him the story and I started crying.  Several things had come up that we weren't sure where the money was going to come from.  We budget every single thing we do and when unexpected medical expenses or repairs come up, we have to figure out what we are going to give up to make it happen.  I just kept crying and saying that she was like a guardian angel.  $100 would cover the things that had come up or that is about what it costs every time we take a trip to Indy for one of Gavin's appointments.  There was no way for this lady to know this.  I kept telling Brian, the funny thing was, she was wearing a long sleeved white, flowy shirt.  She was an angel!  He was also in shock and stunned by this lady's generosity.  After all, I had only chatted with her for about 30 minutes.  She didn't know me and yet she did this for me.  Then, I started feeling a bit guilty because I wasn't 100% sure that I'd thanked her.

Well, the story isn't over...when we were at the library, she walked in!  I freaked out because it was totally awkward.  However, I knew it was God's way of giving me a chance to thank her.  I gave myself a minute to get it together and when we walked out of the bathroom, they saw me.  Her husband jokingly said, "Are you following us?" I just laughed.  When he walked away, I went up to the lady and said, "I don't even know if I thanked you, but you don't know how much that means to me.  We have some things that need to be taken care of.  I called my husband and told him you were my guardian angel!"  I had tears in my eyes and so did she.  She just smiled, hugged me, and said that God had laid something on her heart and she knew she had to do it.  She also was happy to see me because she wanted to know Gavin's name so she could pray for him.  After that, I walked back to Gavin and they were gone.

That situation was just one of three events that happened this week that reminded me of God's presence in my life and the power of prayer.  Of course I hadn't prayed that he would send a lady to the park to hand me $100, but I continually pray for our family's financial situation.  That we will continue on the positive path we are on and be able to support our family and all of Gavin's medical expenses.  I have no idea who this lady was, but I'm so thankful for her.  Not only did she give me a financial gift, but she also made it clear to me that there are still good people in this world.  I hope to pay it forward someday.

The story of this lady reminded me of my friend, Jessica, who passed away several years ago.  When we were in high school, she had this annoying teddy bear that said, "I'm your guardian angel, I'm your special friend".  I can still hear that bear.  Who knows, maybe Jessica sent this angel into my life.

2 comments:

Educator Eats said...

So sweet. I totally have tears in my eyes. That was so touching. Thanks for posting this:)

The Broeker Family said...

I totally have tears in my eyes, too. God shows himself to us all the time, and knows our needs that's for sure.