Saturday, July 14, 2012

Steroids

Yesterday when Gavin woke up from his nap, he was really upset and I could tell his breathing was off.  He's had a snotty nose for a day or two, but I didn't think much of it.  This breathing was labored and I could hear the strider.  It wasn't as bad as the middle of the night when we rush him to the ER, so I felt good about that.  I was still freaking out a little bit.  I was home alone with all three kids and my mind was racing.  I called Brian and told him he needed to come home because I had to either take Gavin to the doctor or the emergency room.  Since he was upset, but could still breathe, I called Dr. Voyles' office first.  They were able to get him in at 4.  I opened the freezer and stuck his head in there and that helped a lot.  I started rushing around getting myself and a bag ready so that when Brian got home we could leave.  Macie was a little worried because she's never heard Gavin's strider before.  She's always been asleep or at home.  She was so sweet.  She kept going up to Gavin and rubbing his belly while saying, "It's OK buddy, Mommy will help you."  It was so sweet! 
Once Brian got home, I took Gavin to the see Dr. Voyles and as always he was a great patient.  He didn't have a fever and we found out he now weighs 35 pounds!  Dr. V said he could hear the strider, but didn't think he needed a breathing treatment because I'd gotten it under control.  He did suggest we run a vaporizer in his room at night.  He prescribed steroids for 5 days and sent us on our way.  Have I ever mentioned how crazy Gavin is on steroids??  Dr. V confirmed it was the right thing to do coming in and that we probably saved us a trip to the ER at night.  We got back to the ENT on August 1st, so I will let him know that Gavin had another episode.

No comments: